Ontario PC Party Headlines

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Guest Column from Candidate Joseph Ganetakos


Who is Joseph Ganetakos?

I work in interactive entertainment, am a father, community advocate and High Park dog-walking and baby-strolling resident of Parkdale-High Park. I love Parkdale-High Park and am proud to call this my home. In recent years, with the onset of fatherhood, I have become more and more concerned the City and Province that I love is headed in the wrong direction. As it is with anything you love, I am compelled to strive to make our community better and stronger and it is for this reason that I am putting my name forward for public office under the leadership of Tim Hudak’s Progressive Conservatives.

I used to be a staunch NDP’er from the Howard Hampton days. My apologies. I greatly respect current MPP Cheri DiNovo and the passion that the NDP bring to community advocacy. So why the switch? As it is with age, I have grown wiser with time and feel that the rosy principles of the NDP are not in the best interests of this province. You simply cannot spend and spend to solve all the problems of the world - people need to take responsibility. We need to live within our means.

I embraced the PCs because I feel that they are the most in touch with what Ontarians actually care about – community, family and financial prudence. Under the leadership of Tim Hudak, I am convinced that the Ontario PC party has the best chance to re-establish Ontario’s place as leader in Canada. This is not a far right party but rather a progressive party of pragmatists and realists. A PC government would provide a better place to set up shop, create new jobs and revitalize investment in the province. Ontario can lead again.

With the NDP and Tories, you know what those parties’ priorities actually are. With the Liberals and Dalton McGuinty, I am not sure what they stand for. I believe that being in government requires people to make tough decisions, not the most popular decisions, and not postponing the payment for these decisions to future generations. Despite the Liberal’s lack of a philosophical anchor, the decisions that Liberals have made have been poor for the long-term interests of Ontario. There is ample evidence that this Liberal government has run its course – billion dollar scandals, increased taxation coupled with record deficits, out of control spending, higher energy bills, and a lack of priorities.

If elected, I intend to help everyday Ontario families by representing the principles of community, family and financial prudence in a PC government.  After witnessing failure after failure under Dalton McGuinty’s Liberal party, I simply cannot allow the mismanagement of such a tremendous province to go on any longer, and I would be honoured to represent this great riding in the Ontario legislature.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions. I need your help, through a donation or volunteering, or both! Change is coming to Ontario! Circle your calendar Thursday October 6th, 2011 as the day that Ontario can lead again.

Joseph Ganetakos